When talk about an easy way to save space for our children bedroom bunk bed and loft bed is always be the first choice. Bunk beds are a great addition to any bedroom that is struggling to find an additional inch of space. Even adult bedrooms and guest rooms can benefit immensely from smart bunk bed designs. But safety is as important a consideration as comfort is when your child settles down for a good night’s sleep. Design and construction of bunk beds must comply with regulations. In US The first thing you need to make sure is that the product you intend to buy complies with the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission standards.
Here are a few excerpts from those requirements
- Every bunk bed must have an affixed label that states the bed’s manufacturer, model, and mattress size information and advises against placing children under six years of age on the upper bunk.
- Bunk beds must have continuous guardrails on both sides of bed; the tops of the guardrails must be no less than 5 inches above the top of the mattress.
- Openings on the upper and the lower bunks must be small enough that a child’s head, torso, or limb cannot pass through them.
Recently while i’m doing a riset and gathering bunk bed and loft bed, i read on one of news site, a mom that shares tragic bunk bed accident. Here excerpt of that news:
Kindell Roberts, 2, had recently moved with his family into their own home in a new neighborhood after overcoming homelessness. In September, he climbed onto his brother’s top bunk bed and as he tried to get down, became stuck and later died after being put on a ventilator.
Roberts, who has five children, left her three youngest in the care of an adult relative when the accident occurred, Inside Edition reported. She believes Kindell got scared at the top of the bunk bed, as she’d never seen him go up there. When he slipped, he got stuck between the bedframe and the wall, catching his chin or neck in the space.
Kindell’s 3-year-old sister tried to release him by pulling down, but that caused him to lose oxygen, Roberts told Inside Edition. Kindell died on Sept. 25, five days later.Read full news.
So while bunk bed and loft bed will be great choice for saving room space we must ensure that out beautiful bunk bed design comply with regulation for safety. Injuries can happen when kids are playing around the bunk bed or when they are sleeping. Therefore, parents should talk to their kids about how to safely use a bunk bed.
Here some facts i gathered about bunk bed injury
- Most bunk bed-related injuries occur from falls while sleeping or playing.
- Injuries from bunk beds are usually worse than injuries from standard beds.
- Cuts are the most common injury, followed by bumps, bruises and broken bones.
- The head and neck are injured the most.
- Half of all bunk bed-related injuries occur to children younger than 6.
And here some bunk bed safety tips
- Use guardrails on both sides of the top bunk. The gaps in the guardrails should be 3.5 inches or smaller to prevent strangulation.
- Guardrails need to extend at least 5 inches above the mattress top to prevent kids from rolling off.
- Check that the mattress foundation is strong and that the right mattress size is used.
- Children younger than 6 are too young to sleep in the top bunk.
- Never let kids play on the bunk or ladder.
- Remove dangerous objects from around the bed.
- Keep the top bunk away from ceiling fans.
- Install a night light near the ladder.
- Do not use the bunk bed or ladder if any parts are damaged or broken.
- Teach kids how to carefully climb the ladder.
- Do not allow children to attach belts, scarves or ropes to the bunk bed. This can lead to strangulation.
So as a parent even saving space and giving nice decoration for our children is important, we must make sure safety is our first consideration. Choose design that comply with regulation, gather safety tips around bunk bed and loft beds. As i also presenting bunk bed design on vogue vibe home site i also gather above information for precaution and consideration while finding nice and good bunk bed design inspiration. Above information about bunk bed safety tips and facts mostly i quoted from nationwidechildrens.org site you can read full article here and news from foxnews.com. And finally i hope you enjoy bedroom ideas specifically bunk bed design presented here on vogue vibe home and still get a good understanding about its safety requirement.Tags: bed save space, safetymom, bed saving space, save space bed